Saturday, November 9, 2013

Sertraline and ringing in the ears


My doctor just started me on sertraline for my depression and I have noticed ringing in my ears. Is this related?

Ringing in the ear or tinnitus can be caused by a number of drugs, including anti-depressants. Sometimes, the decision to switch drugs is difficult. if your tinnitus is mild and tolerated than I would recommend just staying on sertraline. However, if your tinnitus is making life miserable, then perhaps your doctor could switch you a different anti depressant. 

Other medications that often cause tinnitus are antibiotics, water pills, certain cancer drugs and quinine. In your case, before you start to switch or discontinue your anti depressant, ensure that your tinnitus is not due to something else. In some cases, tinnitus does spontaneously disappear so you may want to be a little patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment